Sunday, August 16, 2015

52 Pick-me-up: Pink / Discovery / Journey

•••  
OK. There is some deep synchronicity happening. As this gets published, I'll be en route to just home in LA from Newark, NJ. Hello Journey, I hope you are you were a smooth one! (You know I'd rather drive, right?)

Severo had a gig at the Suffolk Theater in Riverhead, NY and very kindly offered to bring me along. It's not often that I get to play groupie these days and I jumped at the opportunity.

We arrived in Manhattan a couple of days early and were able to explore some museums (along with eat prodigious amounts of food). Thursday night, we went the the New Whitney, now located at 99 Gansevoort St, at the foot of the High Line. It's an exciting space, and makes it possible for the museum to exhibit more of its vast collection. They're open unusually late until 10pm [still closed Tuesdays], and it's scenic to walk the High Line at sunset, then explore the museum as it gets dark.

Pink was on my mind as we viewed the current exhibit, America Is Hard To See (runs until 9/27).
Philip Guston, Dial, Oil on linen, 1956
I started noticing lots of pink ladies:
Reginald Marsh, Ten Cents a Dance, Tempera on composition board, 1933
Paul Cadmus, Sailors and Floosies, Oil and tempera on linen, painted wood frame, 1938
Thomas Hart Benton, Poker Night (from A Streetcar Named Desire), Tempera and oil on linen, 1948
George Tooker, The Subway, Tempura on composition board, 1950
Willem de Kooning, Woman and Bicycle, Oil, enamel, charcoal on linen, 1952-53
And families:
Allan D'Arcangelo, Madonna and Child, Acrylic and gesso on canvas, 1963
Robert Bechtle, '61 Pontiac, Oil on canvas, 1968-69
Marisol, Women and Dog, Wood, plaster, acrylic, taxidermic dog head, found objects 
Hey! I know that guy photobombing the art!
It's my resident rock star!
The Smithereens from the wings, Suffolk Theater, Riverhead, NY, August 15, 2015
And partner in gluttony:
Pink and Whites from William Greenberg
And general silliness:
In the Egyptian wing of The Met
Did I wear any pink this trip? Yes, indeed!
The trusty 60's shift and new 99¢ socks from Jack's
[Added] Linking up with Beverly's Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound

Been any place new lately? What did you discover?
Pink / Discovery / Journey -- link and tell: